Monday, August 27, 2007

Life at UCU

So yesterday we moved into the dorms at the university, and let me tell you what an eye opener. The rooms are tiny, the drawers don't open, the closets are made for much taller men, and we sleep under pop out mosquito nets. The water is absolutely freezing, so much so that i can only bare being under it enough to wash off the soap and shampoo. Yesterday all the guys went and started a game of soccer and ended up playing for a few hours. After we had dinner which was the exact same food as lunch. After dinner it was time for an early night, I went to bed at 9.

Today I woke up at 6:30 with a couple of the guys and went up monkey hill, which is a hill with tons of monkeys. I took some pics and will upload soon. After we had some breakfast and then began orientation in the classroom. We then had a scavenger hunt this afternoon in Mukona, Uganda, we had to find all the things we will need for the semester, had some scares on the hunt, but nothing huge. I met some of the volleyball guys tonight at dinner and will practice with them tommorrow at 5. Anyways the battery on my computer is about to die so I better go. Anyways doing well and healthy.

6 comments:

Dad said...

Will, I'm home for lunch so I thought that I'd write you a quick response. Sounds life in the dorms at Eastern Oregon State College when I was a counselor in the dorms. We had very small rooms and had to go down the hall to shower in cold water! We didn't get the same food for lunch and dinner though, our dorm cooks were actually very good. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time so far. Send us pictures of your volleyball team when you start practicing. I'm also anxious to see your pictures of monkey hill, etc. Have a great day and remember that God loves you and so do I! Love, Dad.

Mrs. Stevens said...

Will, it was fun to get a text from you this morning. Just be careful, as those might be expensive for some of your friends. We can set up a time every couple of weeks for us to call you. Ashley used to look out at a field of kangaroos in Australia, and you are looking at monkeys. love you, mom

Jillian said...

will!! i'm so jealous. you have been in my prayers and will continue to be. can't wait to see the monkey pics!!!! too bad i'm not in africa right now...playing soccer!! enjoy every minute of this experience. it will be over before you know it!! God bless.

Michelle said...

My monkeys! Mine! My Kiki :)
I started school today and already have so much homework! Tomorrow I start working with my classroom at Immanuel with the four-year-olds, and I'm really excited. I went with Jessica and John to a metal show tonight and actually enjoyed it! She's moving in on Sunday and I think Chad & Shelby are going to be living in a spare room at Clover and Brian's new place until they move to Hawaii. So that's what's going on here. Hope the monkeys weren't being inappropriate (did I ever tell you about the giraffes when Jarrod and I went to the New Orleans zoo?). Anyways...
Miss you! Love you! Praying for you!
- Miguel

Unknown said...

you get texts while you are there? what in the world? you text your mom? please explain. hope all is going well man. SNU's good. so many freshman. parking is worse than last year. classes are good. lots of reading for the religion classes this semester. you better write me back william stevens or else...

-matt

Aunt Ann said...

Will, It's so great to be able to keep up with the wonderful things you are doing in Uganda! I think it's wonderful that you have this opportunity! Can't wait to read more and see some of your great pictures. Take care, be safe, and take in all God has in store for you! Love, Aunt Ann