Saturday, August 25, 2007

I've Arrived!!!

Hey everyone, thanks for all your prayers while I was traveling to Uganda. All of us made it here safely yesterday night at about 8:30 pm, and then after getting our visas and all it took about two hours to even leave the airport. So we were all very tired on the way to our home for the weekend. There are two sets of students here from the United States. There is the students staying on the campus, like me, and then the 10 students who will actually be living with host families the entire semester, close to the school and will walk to school everyday. Currently we are staying in a really nice guest house or boarding house. It is huge, and almost seems like we aren't in Africa, but then this morning me and Bryce from Canada went to look at the view and we are on top of a hill and can see the entire city of Kampala. The pictures I have are amazing, but no way to add them yet, but I will post some asap. Today Bryce and I got up at 7:15 to shower, and to our amazement there was hot water, which was awesome. We then had breakfast and then began orientation with all the students and Mark, who is the director of the Uganda Studies Program. We began the orientation by discussing in groups the reasons we came here and what we are expecting from the semester. It was amazing to me to hear how many students families weren't supported of them coming on the trip at all. I am so thankful that so many people have been so supportive of me coming from family to friends thank you all so much.
After Orientation we had lunch, followed by a trip to the Buganda Kingdom, which is the home of all the kings of Uganda who have died. It was amazing to see and hear the stories of the kings who ruled during British rule to the King now who has been King since independence. After the tombs the group all went to the city center and just walked around. It was refereshing to start hearing the African sounds and smell all the African scents again. I am sad that I'm not at SNU, but even after a day with all these other students, we all have so much in common, and I've never gotten along with so many people so well. This trully has to be one of the most genuine groups of people I have met. I'm so thankful I have come on this trip. Tommorrow we will be having church in the morning then be going to the University in the afternoon. We aren'e leaving for Rwanda till Friday, so I should be able to check my email a few times this week.

Anyways thank you all so much for prayers we will need them. I love you all so much.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

BOO!
Yay, I'm so glad you got there safe and sound. I really miss you! I went to my mom's today and she just looked at my sad face and said "are you sad 'cause your buddy is gone?" Oh Arlene. But I'm so happy for you, that you get to be there for four months and I can already tell it's going to be amazing. I wish I was there to play with all the African children with you!

Jann said...

Well, Will, your Mom gave me your blog.spot and e-mail addres this morning at church. Just wanted to tell you that I will be praying for you. What great experiences you have had in your life. May God continue to use you for mighty works for His kingdom there in Uganda.

Grace and Peace to you!

Jann Jones

Unknown said...

why didnt you call me before you left


glad to hear you made it man. enjoy it. keep in touch.

Heather said...

Hey!!! I know this is kinda late!! And i am sure you are having a GREAT TIME!!! Your mom told me that you were there and safe!! I hope you are having a great time and i will talk to you soon!!!